By Freedom Fitness, Jul 10 2019 09:31PM
Kids have had a bit too much junk these school holidays? Sick of the "sugar fuelled" high energy? Want a few healthier lunchbox options when te kids go back to school? These are some really simple snack ideas that contain little added sugar, salt or preservatives.
FRUIT ROLL UPS
1 tbsp ground cinnamon
1/4 cup (60g) butter, melted
10 flour tortillas
1 1/2 cups (390g) yogurt
500g mixed frozen berries
1. Place cinnamon on a plate.
2. Brush a tortillas with melted butter and press into cinnamon.
3. Place on a plate, cinnamon side down and spread a few tablespoons of yoghurt on the tortilla.
4. Place berry mixture in the centre of the tortilla and roll up. Place on a tray and freeze.
5. When ready to eat, drizzle honey over the top.
*You don't have to freeze them.
FRUIT KEBABS WITH YOGURT DIP
1 cup pineapple, peeled and diced
1/2 cup blueberries
1 punnet strawberries
1 cup grapes
2 oranges, peeled and diced
OR ANY FRUIT IN SEASON
2 cups of yogurt
1/2 tsp of honey
1. Take bamboo skewers and thread the fruit on in your preferred order.
2. Pour the yogurt and honey in a mixing bowl & stir
3. Use half an orange to sink the skewers into for display.
4. Enjoy dipped in the yogurt dip
RICE CAKE CHARACTERS - great for fussy eaters - get the kids to design their own
1 slice deli meat of your choice (chicken, ham, etc.)
1 rice cake
1 boiled egg
1 slice of cheese
2 slices of cucumber
1 carrot stick
1. Lay meat on top of rice cake.
2. Carefully slice your boiled egg and use the two middle slices as eyes, place sultanas on for eyeballs.
3. Using a knife cut a small triangle for the beak and fashion feet out of cheese, as shown in picture.
4. Cut one cucumber slice in half and use as wings, then with another slice make ears.
5.Once positioned on a plate, place a carrot lengthways underneath the owl to serve as a tree branch.
2 Original Rice Cakes
1 small tbsp smooth peanut butter
1/4 carrot, thinly sliced then trimmed into triangles for ears
1/2 banana, sliced for cheeks
coconut thread, for whiskers
4 currants, for eyes
2 raisins, for nose
1. Spread Rice Cakes with peanut butter.
2. Place the carrot and banana slices onto the peanut butter.
3. Arrange the coconut, currants and raisins to make the face.